Friday, March 30, 2007

On the Not-So-Good Days

I don't know about you, but back when I was a teenager and into my twenties, if I had a bad day or something in my life was upsetting me, I would pull out a cassette full of songs I specifically recorded because they would make me cry. And I would put that tape in my stereo and just wallow in my misery. At the same time, I would eat something sinful and generally throw myself a huge pity party.

If I can say one thing about getting older, I do enjoy the fact that I no longer need to waste a bunch of time in celebrating how "tough I have it" in those kinds of moments. I've learned that in time, things will turn around and the quickest way to things getting better is to determine what I have control of and how I can improve the situation. Also knowing that the most important thing I have control over is how I might react to something not going my way and the running commentary of self-talk going on in my head.

I'll admit, I'm posting this because I've had a bit of a tough week. Not in my Urban Botanic ventures but in other areas of my life. So aside from forcing my husband to listen to me vent (which he patiently did, bless his heart), I went through my list of things I am grateful for and I reflected on a few quotes and sayings I've come across that really work on getting me some clarity and calmness.

In no particular order, here they are:

  • Everything happens for a reason and have trust in that.

  • What are you willing to work for?

  • What you focus your attention and energy on gets bigger.

  • The best prediction of future behavior is past behavior. (when the issue is about relationships)

  • Who am I to be brilliant, fabulous, talented, and gorgeous? Well, who am I not to be?Marianne Williamson

  • Breathe.

  • Mediocrity attacks excellence. from The Secret

  • What is it about this situation that is truly upsetting me? And is it something truly worth being upset over?

  • Sometimes life just isn't fair. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and get on with it.

  • There is always someone in this world dealing with worse problems than you. Be thankful.

And for when I really need a swift kick into action and to snap myself out of dwelling on a situation:

  • So what? (not being unkind to myself but just to remind me that I really have so many better things to focus my energy on)

I'd love to hear the sayings and quotes you use to pick yourself up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Marianne Williamson quote is one of my favorites. Here is a Napoleon Hill one that is a fav too "Every adversity has a seed of equal or greater benefit". Hope you have a better weekend.

UB Queen Bee said...

My mantra is "Positive Attitude = Positive Action" - I know you've had a rough week and I'm proud of you for venting and moving on. In regards to the one challenge I know about, remember that you are the genius and even if others can't handle your talent, you must refuse to let them beat you down no matter what!