Monday, April 30, 2007

Kids Parties and Urban Botanic

Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo...

I posted a while back about why Urban Botanic is a great idea for birthday parties. Now that I can talk the walk, or walk the talk (or however that saying goes!), I thought I'd share a few insights, procedures, and lessons learned about doing UB birthday parties.

To get the word out about doing childrens parties there are lots of options. You can spend money on a classified ad in a local parenting publication (I ran one through the year with a parenting magazine here in Seattle). Better yet, you can list your UB business for FREE on an online parenting resource for your city or region. A popular one that I used is GoCityKids.com (they have listings for other cities besides Seattle). One thing to note is because these are free, don't be surprised if your listing is edited for length. Parents go to these types of resources in droves because, even in larger cities, there aren't a gazillion birthday party options. And best of all, UB offers kids something completely NEW that hasn't been done a gazillion times.

Once you have advertised that you do birthday parties, be prepared for inquiries. And especially be aware that these inquiries might come directly from the birthday child. I recently had a very industrious young 12 year old contact me directly via email about scheduling her party (!!). It took a few emails back and forth before I realized I was conversing with such a young customer. My intuition told me to ask her if it was for a special occasion and she replied that it was for her birthday. So, I now routinely ask in the first correspondence if it is for a special event or occasion!

You should also think about your policies surrounding birthday parties. Because we don't (as of yet) have set guidelines from corporate, I looked at the policies that other party entertainers in my area list. I ask that the birthday parent decide what "package" they want (i.e. what products they are purchasing for the guests) and an estimate of how many guests will be attending. I then invoice them (using PayPal) for 50% deposit of the estimated party total before the party (up to two weeks before). This secures their date. Then, the remainder is due the day of the party.

If a party host needs to cancel an event giving me two weeks notice, I reserve the right to retain the 50% deposit. If an event needs to be cancelled with less than 48 hour notice, I reserve the right to bill the host for the entire cost of the party. If for some reason I need to cancel an event due to an emergency, I will refund their deposit.

I also spell out that I don't provide food or decorations and that a UB party typically lasts two hours.

If the expected attendance for a party is more than 6 children, I let the host parent know that I would appreciate their being present during the workshop to help out if needed. If a party exceeds 10 children, depending on their ages, I would actually bring a second Fragrance Designer and would tack on an extra charge (I haven't had a party be larger than 10 yet, so I don't have that part totally figured out).

Okay. All pre-party duckies are lined up. Now, on to the actual party...

I structure my birthday parties a little differently than a regular UB party. For example, I don't follow the flip book, I don't do the personality test, I don't explain about becoming a Fragrance Designer, etc. If the parent (or parents of guests are there), I might hand them a business card if they seem interested in UB. But I don't go over that info during the party.

Here is what I have done:

  • I set up the table like normal. If the product package is more than 2 products, I put it in a fun gift bag**; if it's just one product I tie a cute ribbon around it with a cute tag**.

  • I briefly explain about the product that they will be taking home (what it is, that it's hypoallergenic, etc.).

  • I have the party guests smell some of the sample recipes. I specifically bring the "lighter" ones and include a recipe I call Sugar Cookie (similar to Shawna's Just Baked). I have extra copies of those scent recipes that I can hand out if that is what someone chooses.
  • Before they start smelling, I tell them to make sure and write down which oils they like. I also ask that they narrow that list down to their favorite 3-5 scents after finishing the smelling.
  • Then I explain that there are 66 oils in different scent families. I point out that the Woodsies might be ones they won't like but I encourage them to smell them anyway.

  • They begin smelling. It's so fun to watch and listen to their reactions!

  • Once they've pretty much smelled them all, I stop them. I will ask them again which of the samples they liked and if the party is small enough, I will look at their lists to offer guidance.

  • Then they begin creating their scent.

MAKE SURE to demonstrate (with each child if possible) what a drop looks like. Then watch and make sure they are writing down each drop. This is where they get to play and have fun! I suggest having a lot of extra mixing glasses as there will likely be a lot of "do-overs". Just like a regular party, offer advice and encouragement in helping them create their scents.

Once they have their recipes decided, I suggest having the party switch gears and move on to another activity, like cake and presents (in another area of the house). Then you can batch and blend their scents into their products. Also, write up names/recipes and tape the backs of bottles.

If the children are more mature, and they want to, you can let them help batch and blend. I suggest doing the math for them and writing out their batch recipe line by line so they can follow it and count out the drops. I would only do this if the party was less than 5 guests total and you had another adult to help.

**One idea I came up with is to have some product info that goes home with each party guest. Parents of these children might be curious (and possibly concerned) about the product their child has brought home. I suggest including a card of some sort that explains about the products (hypoallergenic) and says that if they have questions or want more information, they can contact you. Then give them your web address, etc. This also helpful if they want to book you for their child's party! :)

I have been pleasantly surprised at the creativity and sophistication that children show when creating their own scents. It is so much fun and very satisfying seeing the joy they get from UB!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the insight! I have a 13 yr old birthday scheduled and that gave me alot of great ideas!

UB Queen Bee said...

This is one of your best posts to date! Please write this up into a doc (pdf format is fine LOL) and let's add to Team Burst!

Anonymous said...

I am planning a bubble bath party here coming up and this was very helpful. I agree with Shawna that it needs to be added to the teamburst.