Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tweens as a U.B. Market

In my earlier post, I wrote about marketing U.B. to brides. Now I'd like to shift focus to the tween market. Tweens are identified as kids between the ages of eight and 12. Essentially, they are in between being children and teenagers. Hallmarks of this age group are a fierce need for independence and establishing a more grown-up identity. At times bouncing back to familiar childhood habits or comforts (stuffed animals or dolls) but then turning right around and wanting to wear makeup and dress like they are 25 (yikes!).

Meanwhile many parents are struggling with the fact their kids aren't children any longer but they still need their help and protection, which flies directly in the face of said kids' desire for independence and an identity apart from Mom and Dad.

Oy vay!

My own daughter who just turned five is already at times displaying these tween-like behaviors. Which is terrifying to say the least. It really got me thinking to how I can create some traditions and bonds that might give us common ground to see us through the trying times ahead in our relationship (I'm not going to kid myself here - there WILL be those moments for us, just like I had with my mom). For instance, as a treat, I will take her to get a mini-manicure with me where she gets to pick out any color of nail polish in the salon and sits like a grown up chatting with the manicurist (seriously...the first time we did that, I was holding back tears at watching my baby behaving so grown up). I know that my mom and I didn't have those connections during my tween and teen years, like shopping or getting our nails done together, and that is something I would like to try and have with my daughter.

So...cut to Urban Botanic. I think this is the perfect product for tweens. Especially for a mother/daughter event or a tween birthday party.

The products are hypo-allergenic and contain no harmful ingredients like many/most other fragrances or cosmetics. The more important aspect of how U.B. would absolutely appeal to both kids of this age group and parents alike is how it allows the tween the ability for self-expression and individuality which they so desperately crave. Yet, it is self-expression in a completely safe and contained manner. And it is fun, creative, and really quite a "cool" activity. Bonus, bonus, bonus for the tween and their parent!

And the price point is so reasonable. As a mom, I could totally see throwing my daughter an Urban Botanic birthday party in a few years. I would pay for, say, a bubble bath and/or a shower gel for each girl attending. At $12.50 a pop, that is actually less than what I have been paying for her parties already (some of the most popular places to have parties in my area are $300 and up just to rent the space for 2 hours). The girls would have a blast, and hey, the Urban Botanic Consultant does most all of the work! ;)

So here's to looking forward to the tween years with my daughter. At least I have one strategy for retaining my status as a "cool" mom intact! :)

1 comment:

UB Queen Bee said...

You are such an amazing writer! Awesome topic and I'm so excited to see you come into your own with this company! XXOO