Monday, January 29, 2007

Finding my niche

Everyone has heard the term niche marketing and target marketing. In figuring out how I could position myself and where I could really focus my efforts as a Scent Consultant with Urban Botanic, I immediately thought of two markets that would likely get excited about this new product: brides and tweens/parents of tweens.

First up...brides.

Thinking back to my own wedding, I would have absolutely flipped and gone nutso over the idea of having a "signature" wedding fragrance. I have heard so many times over the years how the sense of smell evokes a huge emotional response, especially associating smells with memories. How better to remember your wedding day than with a custom fragrance!

I was such a make-it-"signature" bride. My colors were bright orange, bright pink, and red fer Pete's sake! Mind you, this was several years before the whole infusion of Middle Eastern, Moroccan, or Indian sari-looks hit the mainstream. My bridesmaids carried fans instead of flowers, I served margaritas but had not a drop of champagne, and we had karaoke at the reception...but I digress... ;)

I realize now that the custom market for weddings has really taken off. There are soooo many adorably cute and sophisticated ways to make a statement, not like back in my day (haha - like it was sooo long ago). Being a bride who loved poring over the minutia of planning the event...let's just say the whole signature-fragrance-for-a-wedding was an immediate connection for me when I first found out about Urban Botanic.

The unfolding of the custom fragrance making could take place as part of a bridal shower, as part of a bachelorette party (and no, not with tacky stripper-dudes, well...at least not until later, ha!), or even as part of a nice bridesmaids dinner/brunch with the fragrances being the gift from the bride to her bridal party. How fun!

Next time...marketing to tweens.

2 comments:

UB Queen Bee said...

Chica I'm SO impressed - this is awesome and you are going to be huge in this business :)

Lauri H said...

Great blog! You're really off to a great start, Mama Spice!