Saturday, May 19, 2007

You Just Never Know

I posted a week or so ago about word of mouth advertising. And I have an amazing story to share that proves you just never know how it might work.

Just last weekend I did an Urban Botanic birthday party for an extremely delightful 12 year old and her group of friends. There were also two adult women who took part in the fragrance making, too. Well, it turns out one of the women works for my city's parks and recreation department.

At the end of the party, she asked for some of my cards and said she thought this would be a great workshop to offer through the city center (year-round they offer classes for people of all ages on a variety of topics). Needless to say, I gave her a stack of cards and told her how interested I would be in doing that.

This week I got a call from the program coordinator who asked if I would be interested in running UB workshops in their fall series.

My jaw hit the floor.

YES! YES! I absolutely want to be included in the fall series!! He emailed me the paperwork and I am sending it back to him Monday. The workshops will be listed in a magazine that goes out to nearly 100,000 households in my area!!

I am also figuring out how to thank my word-of-mouth angel. The fact that she enjoyed herself and saw value in the process enough to refer me to her co-worker just blows me away. Thank you doesn't begin to describe how grateful I am.

So, it just goes to show that you never know who might be in attendance at a party and how powerful word of mouth can be!

1 comment:

UB Queen Bee said...

Awesome post Kelsey! That is definitely the best word of mouth story by far. Very exciting how that all comes to fruition isn't it! I've been thinking about the right types of thank you's as well. Do we use UB product? (sees like we should) or do you do something totally different? It has made me think that maybe we partner with a spa that we might send our customers to and they in turn return the favor? Hmmm - thinking...